TIFA Plan Vision
To plan for the proper use of tax increment financing dollars in a manner that will creatively, positively, and pro-actively contribute to the economic development and redevelopment of the Tax Increment Finance Authority District of the City of Romulus.
Goal #1 Offer improvement projects that seek to visually enhance the City and reflect its character thereby creating an attractive, memorable environment for businesses and residents.
- Create enhanced gateways into TIFA development areas with landscaping and entry signage.
- Install streetscape improvements along major corridors.
- Acquire land for open space and/or natural resource preservation.
- Enhance imposing physical structures such as bridges, towers, and rail lines.
- Eliminate blighted structures and obsolete structures such as abondoned buildings, utilitiy poles, billboards, and certain residential in airport flight path.
- Accommodate opportunities for public art and creative design.
- Improve the appearance of street signs.
- Screen and enhance the perimeter of large development sites such as plants, the airport, and outdoor storage.
Goal #2 Improve the quality and diversity of the transportation system in the City to ensure convenient and enjoyable access to the City's important destinations.
- Conduct necessary traffic analysis to best understand level of service and capacity issues.
- Improve the condition of roads.
- Widen roads where necessary.
- Control access and driveways along major roads. Coordinate enhancements with road improvements.
- Provide sidewalks and pathways throughtout the TIFA district that link sites and major destinations.
- Incorporate enhancement efforts into sidewalk system.
- Address barriers to access such as the expressway and rails roads.
- Consider and accommodate alternative modes of circulation such as transit to and through the City.
Goal #3 Expand and improve the services and facilities offered to the residents and businesses to improve the quality of life in Romulus.
- Upgrade and expand public safety services such as police and fire to better serve emergency needs. Improve parks and recreation opportunities.
- Advance the services and equipment of the Department of Public Works to facilitate improved maintenance.
Update the City's water and sewer main system.
- Improve the flow and treatment of storm water drainage.
- Accommodate environmental protection, mitigation and clean-up as applicable.
Goal #4 Initiate research, planning, and other efforts to improve understanding of resources and opportunities in the TIFA district.
- Conduct a study of the City's utility system to understand its future and current needs and to ensure long term durability.
- Amend the zoning ordinance in a manner that promotes successful implementation of this plan.
- Prepare necessary sub-area planning documents to focus specific development strategies on certain areas.
- Consider opportunities for private/public partnerships in order to accomplish planned projects.
- Develop an image promotion and marketing plans and materials for the TIFA.
- Identify grant and other funding opportunities to assist with financing.